Gas Leak Causes Fire and Injuries in Mumbai Chawl

0
0 views

What happened?

A gas leak in a chawl at Siddharth Colony in Chembur East triggered a fire that injured nine people, including four women, on Thursday night. The fire brigade officials said that the leak occurred around 11.45 pm and the fire was doused in 10-15 minutes. Three of the injured persons have suffered more than 50 per cent burns and are critical, while five are stable and one has been discharged.

How did the authorities respond?

The fire brigade officials said that they rushed one fire engine, a jetty and ambulances to the spot as soon as they received the call. They also said that they evacuated the residents of the chawl and nearby buildings to prevent further casualties. The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said that it has provided medical assistance to the injured and shifted them to different hospitals. The BMC also said that it will conduct an inquiry into the cause of the gas leak and the fire.

What are the hospitals saying?

The injured persons were admitted to Rajawadi Hospital, Sion Hospital, Shatabdi Hospital and Manek Hospital, according to the fire brigade officials. The doctors at Rajawadi Hospital said that six of the injured are undergoing treatment there and three of them are critical. They said that they have suffered severe burns on their face, chest and limbs and are on ventilator support.

Gas Leak Causes Fire and Injuries in Mumbai Chawl

The doctors at Sion Hospital said that one of the injured, a 17-year-old girl, is also critical and has been shifted to the burns ward. The doctors at Shatabdi Hospital said that they discharged a 42-year-old man who had minor injuries. The doctors at Manek Hospital said that they are treating a 60-year-old woman who has 40 per cent burns and is stable.

What are the residents saying?

The residents of the chawl and the nearby buildings said that they heard a loud blast and saw flames and smoke coming out of the chawl. They said that they ran out of their homes and tried to help the injured. They also said that they smelled gas before the fire and suspected that there was a leakage in the LPG cylinders or the pipelines. They demanded that the authorities should check the safety of the gas connections and the chawl structures.

What are the experts saying?

The experts said that gas leaks can cause fires and explosions if they come in contact with a source of ignition, such as a spark, a flame or a cigarette. They said that gas leaks can be prevented by using proper equipment, maintaining the pipelines and cylinders, and detecting and reporting any signs of leakage. They also said that gas leaks can be detected by using devices, such as gas detectors, or by smelling, hearing or seeing the gas. They advised that in case of a gas leak, one should turn off the gas supply, evacuate the area, call the emergency services and avoid any actions that could ignite the gas.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here