Google has recently launched its Duet AI assistant, a new feature that promises to help users with various tasks across its Workspace apps, such as Docs, Gmail, Drive, Slides, and more. Duet AI is available to paid Google Workspace business users for $30 a month in addition to regular Workspace fees.
What is Duet AI and what can it do?
Duet AI is not a single product, but rather a collection of different AI capabilities that can assist users with various aspects of their work. According to Google, Duet AI can:
- Summarize a conversation thread across emails, use the content of an email to write a brief, or draft an email based on a topic in Gmail.
- Write content such as a customer proposal or a story in Docs.
- Generate custom visuals using an image synthesis model in Slides.
- Help format existing spreadsheets or create a custom spreadsheet structure suited to a particular task, such as a project tracker in Sheets.
- Ensure you look and sound your best with studio look, studio lighting, and studio sound, as well as provide automatic translated captions in Meet.
- Capture notes and video, send a summary to attendees in the meeting, or even join the meeting on your behalf using the “attend for me” feature in Meet.
- Ask questions about your content, get a summary of documents shared in a space, and catch up on missed conversations in Chat.
How does Duet AI work and how to use it?
Duet AI is powered by various AI models that Google has developed over the years, such as Google Bard and Google Lens. It uses natural language processing, computer vision, speech recognition, and other techniques to understand the user’s context and intent, and provide relevant suggestions or actions.
To use Duet AI, users need to have a paid Google Workspace subscription and opt-in for the Duet AI add-on for $30 a month per user. Once activated, users can access Duet AI features from the menu bar or the right sidebar of any Workspace app. Users can also ask Duet AI questions or commands using voice or text input.
What are the benefits and drawbacks of Duet AI?
Duet AI aims to make users more productive and creative by taking care of some of the mundane or repetitive tasks that they face every day. It also aims to enhance collaboration and communication by providing translation, transcription, summarization, and other services.
However, Duet AI also has some limitations and challenges that users should be aware of. For instance:
- Duet AI is not always accurate or reliable. Some of the generated content or visuals may be awkward, irrelevant, or erroneous. Users should always review and edit the output before using it.
- Duet AI is not very flexible or customizable. Users have limited control over how Duet AI works or what it produces. Users may not be able to adjust the tone, style, format, or quality of the output according to their preferences or needs.
- Duet AI is not very transparent or explainable. Users may not know how Duet AI makes decisions or what data it uses. Users may also have privacy or security concerns about how their data is processed or stored by Google.
- Duet AI is not very affordable or accessible. Users need to pay a hefty fee to use Duet AI on top of their regular Workspace subscription. Users may also need a stable internet connection and a compatible device to use Duet AI effectively.
Is Duet AI worth it?
Duet AI is an ambitious and innovative feature that showcases Google’s prowess in artificial intelligence. It offers some useful and interesting functions that can help users with their work and creativity. However, it also has some drawbacks and limitations that may affect its usability and value. Ultimately, users need to weigh the pros and cons of Duet AI and decide whether it is worth the cost and effort.