Haldwani calm after violent clashes over madrasa demolition


Curfew relaxed in most parts of the town

The situation in Haldwani, the second-largest city in Uttarakhand, has improved after two days of violence over the demolition of an illegal madrasa and a mosque on ThursdayCurfew has been lifted from the outer areas of the town, while it remains in force in the Banbhoolpura area, where the clashes took place. Authorities said the situation is peaceful and no fresh incidents of violence have been reported.

The curfew was imposed on Thursday evening after a mob of around 5,000 people attacked the police and municipal workers who were carrying out the demolition of the madrasa and the mosque, which were built on government land without permission. The mob also set fire to vehicles, shops and a police station, injuring over 100 security personnel and several civiliansSix people died in the violence, while seven others are undergoing treatment at different hospitals.

CM Dhami visits Haldwani, calls violence a ‘planned attack’

Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami visited Haldwani on Friday and met some of the injured at the hospitals. He also held a meeting with the district administration and the police officials to review the law and order situation. He termed the violence a ‘planned attack’ and said that arms, stones and petrol bombs were stockpiled by the rioters. He said that the demolition was done as per a court order and the government will not tolerate any attempt to disrupt the social harmony and peace of the state.

madrasa demolition

Dhami also announced an ex-gratia of Rs 10 lakh each to the families of the deceased and Rs 2 lakh each to the seriously injured. He said that the government will bear the medical expenses of all the injured and provide compensation to the owners of the damaged properties. He also appealed to the people to maintain calm and not fall prey to any rumours or provocations.

Police arrest 50 suspects, register case against 5,000 unidentified people

The police have arrested 50 people for their alleged involvement in the violence and registered a case against 5,000 unidentified people under various sections of the Indian Penal Code, including rioting, arson, attempt to murder and assault on public servants. The police have also invoked the National Security Act (NSA) against some of the accused, which allows preventive detention for up to 12 months. The police chief of Uttarakhand, Abhinav Kumar, said that the police will take strict action against those who attacked the police personnel and the journalists.

The police have also suspended the internet services in the town to prevent the spread of rumours and misinformation through social media platforms. The police have also deployed over 1,000 personnel, including Rapid Action Force (RAF) and Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC), to maintain law and order in the town. The police have also set up checkpoints and barricades at various places to monitor the movement of people and vehicles.

Residents of Banbhoolpura demand rebuilding of madrasa and mosque

The residents of Banbhoolpura, where the madrasa and the mosque were demolished, have demanded that the government should rebuild them at the same place or provide them an alternative site. They have also demanded that the government should withdraw the cases against the protesters and release the arrested people. They have also sought an impartial inquiry into the violence and the role of the police.

The residents have also claimed that the madrasa and the mosque were not illegal and they had the documents to prove their ownership. They have also alleged that the demolition was done without giving them any notice or hearing. They have also accused the police of using excessive force and firing at the protesters, which resulted in the deaths and injuries.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here