Karnataka Minister for Youth Empowerment and Sports Madhu Bangarappa had a narrow escape on Wednesday when his car collided with a truck near Tumakuru district. The minister was travelling from Shivamogga to Bengaluru when the accident occurred around 11 am on National Highway 48. The minister’s car was badly damaged in the impact, but he and his driver escaped unhurt. The truck driver also sustained minor injuries and was taken to a nearby hospital.
How did the minister react?
The minister, who is also the son of former Chief Minister S Bangarappa, said he was thankful to God for saving his life. He also thanked the people who helped him and his driver after the accident. He said he was not injured and did not need any medical attention. He also said he would continue his journey to Bengaluru after changing his vehicle.
What is the cause of the accident?
The exact cause of the accident is not yet clear, but preliminary reports suggest that the truck driver lost control of his vehicle and hit the minister’s car from behind. The police have registered a case and are investigating the matter. The minister said he did not have any enmity with anyone and ruled out any foul play behind the accident. He said it was a case of human error and appealed to the public to drive safely and follow traffic rules.
What is the minister’s portfolio?
Madhu Bangarappa is the Minister for Youth Empowerment and Sports in the Basavaraj Bommai-led BJP government in Karnataka. He took oath as a minister on August 4, 2023, after defecting from the Janata Dal (Secular) party. He is one of the four former JD(S) MLAs who joined the BJP and became ministers. He represents the Sorab constituency in Shivamogga district. He is also the president of the Karnataka Olympic Association.
What are the minister’s achievements?
Madhu Bangarappa is known for his interest and involvement in sports and youth affairs. He has been instrumental in promoting various sports activities and events in the state. He has also initiated several schemes and programs for the welfare and empowerment of the youth. Some of his notable achievements are:
- Launching the Karnataka Youth Policy 2023, which aims to provide skill development, employment, entrepreneurship, health, and social security to the youth.
- Organizing the Karnataka Youth Festival 2023, which showcased the talent and culture of the youth from different districts of the state.
- Supporting the Karnataka athletes who participated in the Tokyo Olympics 2020 and the Asian Games 2022.
- Inaugurating the Karnataka Sports Academy, which provides training and coaching to the budding sportspersons in various disciplines.
- Distributing sports kits and equipment to the schools and colleges in the state.